Starting off a New Journey

Hello and welcome readers to my page. I am blogging for the first time and am super excited to connect with you all, through my pen. My blogs will primarily revolve around unexplored chronicles related to places, different delicacies, architecture, and art. And via this, you will gradually get to know me and vice versa. 

Since childhood, I have always been passionate about art and literature. The credit for my ever-increasing love for arts may be given to my learning of classical dance from a very young age. As I am beginning this journey from May, the month which reminds me of my good old days of me being engaged in the celebrations of Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti.

Celebration of Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti (IMG source- The Telegraph)

In Bengal, discussion about arts always leads to the mentioning of contributions by The Bard of Bengal, Rabindranath Tagore, and The Rebel Poet, Kazi Nazrul Islam. Both are considered as two sides of a spectrum and are among the greatest figures in the field of arts. Being a Bengali the first thing I got brought up is Rabindra Sangeet and Nazrul Geeti.



Rabindranath Tagore (7th May, 1861-1941), Kazi Nazrul Islam (24th May, 1899-1976)

Surprisingly, both the gems share the same birth month, May, and we celebrate their birthdays altogether. That's why this event is jointly considered as Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti. They truly complement each other. The celebration has no bar, for which the celebration can be sighted both in local areas, including local clubs, schools, colleges and universities, apartment communities, and at big grand functions, endorsing celebrities. On that day all of us gather wearing our traditional attire, decorate with flower sticks on vases, idolize their frames with white garlands, play their music, and perform on them. 


The festive aura created by this celebration travels across borders and Bengalis around the globe celebrate the two legends. Besides West Bengal Bangladeshis take part in remembering two stalwarts. Generations after generation this legacy is being continued. So, by paying homage to Rabindranath Tagore and Kazi Nazrul Islam, I am starting off the journey of Palm Parna.


Comments

Popular Posts